Wednesday, October 3, 2007

hunger

regarding Black Boy:


What types of things does Richard "hunger" for and what are the effects (positive and negative) of hunger?


Throughout the memoir, Black Boy written by Richard Wright, Richard is constantly struggling with a hunger of some sort. But not just a physical hunger for food, Richard also had a deep hunger for an knowledge and a fatherly figure in the absence of his own.


First, Richard hungers for food. "Hungry stole upon me so slowly at first I was not aware of what hunger meant. Hunger at always been more or less at my elbow when I played, but now I began to wake up at night to find hunger standing at my bedside, staring at me gauntly" (Wright 14). With his father gone and his mother not having a job there was not much food to be eaten and Richard was constantly hungered for food, surviving mostly off tea.


Along with physical hunger Richard also suffered an emotional hunger for a fatherly figure. Early on in Richard's life his father leaves him and his family (Wright 15). Yet, even in his fathers absence Richard is somewhat relieved, for when he had been present he was abusive and unloving. "Though i had not known why he was absent, I had been glad that he was not there to shout his restrictions at me" (Wright 15). This missing father figure brough pain to Richard and he craved the affection that he was so deeply missing. "As the days slid past the image of my father became associated with my pangs of hunger and whenever I felt hunger I thought of him with a deep biological bitterness" (Wright 16).


Richard was a very smart student and did very well in school. At one point he even skips a grade. Richard was also named the valedictorian. Yet, he was always striving for a greater understanding of educations subjects like writing along with social behavior. One thing that confused and hurt Richard was that seperation of whites and blacks. Richard is looking for a reason for the hatred and is learning to deal with the discrimination in school when the principal makes him read the speech written by himself and in searching for a job.


Can hunger be posetive?
I personally think it can have posetive effects. Hunger causes a person to push and work for something they really want.
yet, i think hunger is a bad thing. Hunger means there is a lack for something that is needed. thats not good.



1 Comments:

At October 5, 2007 at 3:30 PM , Blogger A.G.McKamey said...

I really like how you wrote that Richard hungered for a fatherly figure. Most of the blogs I've read say that his father was the cause of his physical hunger, but not that a father was his actual hunger. I also really like your conclusion, you're absolutely right that hunger can cause people to strive for something, but it can also be a terrible thing. A few more citations from the book might help you better prove your point, but otherwise I love all the thought you put into this!

-Aliza

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home